Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus27947 Ignoramus27947 is offline

Default Starvation Wages

On 2013-09-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:

Why do a business want to employ a "no longer economically useful
worker" for reduced hours?

It is a vexing issue that I have not figured out, except for a
determination to be ireplaceable by computers, for me and for my
kids.

You found a niche that you fit into. Those niches are getting to be
smaller and smaller in numbers.

Correct. Smaller and smaller in number, as time goes on. It is a slow
process, but inevitable.

Which is why so many of my clients have retired out of California,
taking a few machines with them to their new digs in Aridzona and
Idaho and making high dollar custom medical parts and gun parts
working in a small home shop on their acreage and sleeping well
every night..because when they sold out in California..they made
enough money to pay cash for everything when they moved and have
money in the bank.

I am not convinced that making custom gun parts is a good
business. Too many people wanting to be in that.

Making custom medical parts, may be indeed a winner for a while.

I wish my niche hadnt started to fold...Im pretty good at what I do.

I spend nights worrying about this stuff and related issues.

There is no place to hide.