Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 19:11:00 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 08/31/2013 04:58 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Not really, I mean, I'm already over it, but it really does show how
little the marketing department of your average large corporation thinks
of the intelligence of the average consumer.

It wouldn't have been a big deal save for the fact that we all know that
C and D size NiMHs are pretty rare, I saw them on the rack and was
immediately drawn to them out of curiosity, then I read the package and
was just depressed and disgusted...

My guess would be that the marketing departments have calculated that
consumers don't want to pay the cost for an actual D cell NiMH, and
thusly base their decision on cost as opposed to stored energy.

Bingo!

I'm
sure that a part of the calculation includes revenue lost by people not
buying throwaways, though.

Nothing at all to do with it.

How do the prices of energizer NiMH AA and D compare to legitimate
brands' AA and D? Are the energizer NiHM D cells priced like a big AA
cell, or are they at a price point which you would expect them to charge
for a legitimate NiHM D cell? That would probably answer the question.

No, different market dynamics.

In any case, both "caveat emptor" and "there's one born every minute"
come to mind.

Absoutely correct. It's about time the consumer stopped relying on
someone else to run his life.