Edwin Pawlowski

Default Mahogany versus Mahogany

"Michele Olguin" wrote in message

Hi Ed,

Philippine mahogany (luan) is often sold as "mahogany," with no further
identification. Other than for outdoor furniture, it's primary uses are
pallet wood and crate wood. It is functionally the same for outdoor
furniture, but doesn't have the patina properties (like turning a
jaw-dropping cinnamon brown after a year or two) of genuine Honduras or
Cuban mahogany. Is it a tad on the yellowish/creamy side, versus pink?

It should work fine as a garden bench.

Humbly submitted,
O'Deen

OK, that makes some sense. Not the grade in fine furniture.

As for the color, it is bownish, darker than the luan plywood I have,
especially with oil on it. My plan is to finish it with Penofin. I'll have
to get a sample of the Honduran to compare the two.
Thanks,
Ed