Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

I've heard the Japan white tops were better.

If you're using AA cells, please consider Powergenix. Only
available in AA, and they don't do deep discharge very well.
But, they have a higher 1.6 volt full charge. I used them
for a while in my mini mag with Teralux bulb module. Also
used them in my digital camera. Went back to low discharge
NiMH for those. I still use Powergenix in my computer
speaker.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/30/2013 8:30 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Sorta. Out of four stores I managed to get two 4-packs of AAAs. Three
of four stores didn't have any at all. In a way I'm happy, because I
really needed some AAA cells. Sad because at $3.65/4-pack I would have
gone full prepper and gladly cleaned out whatever they had. At that
price I could have justified buying a boatload of cells and getting some
eBay 3xAA to D and 4xAAA to C cell adapters and finally converting
*everything* over to NiMH.

If you have a Target nearby check 'em out. (you can stop reading now if
you already knew what I was talking about.) "Duraloop" is a nickname
that came from Candlepowerforums I think for Duracell low self discharge
NiMH rechargeable cells that were actually made by Sanyo and are
functionally indistinguishable from Eneloops. Apparently Duracell has
introduced a new rechargeable cell and so Target is unloading the old
stock at a screaming discount. It wasn't advertised, they were still
labeled at about $12 but scanning under the price checker revealed that
yes they were on sale for $3.65.

Identifying the elusive Duraloop - they will say "Precharged" or
"Staycharged" on the package, will be rated at 2000 mAh for the AAs and
800 mAh for the AAAs, will be made in Japan, and most importantly will
have a WHITE top on the positive end. There may be black or grey top
cells with the exact same part number, but they're not the same and
legend has it that they're inferior.

These are the first I've had; Target's regular price on these is higher
than I can get real Sanyo Eneloops shipped either from Amazon or on eBay
- if you look around you can probably get them for about $20/8.
(actually the eBay seller that I got my last batch from had Eneloops
with a more recent production date than Amazon's source.) But I've got
the first four running a break-in cycle on my charger now and they've
already charged and discharged once, only one cell was under its rated
800 mAh and that not by much, and these were dated 2009 (!) so they sure
do seem like they might be the real deal.

I think either Staples or OfficeMax sold Duracell rechargeables too, if
I end up driving by one tomorrow I should see if they have a similar
closeout, and still have any white-tops...

nate