Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Casing doors

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:21:13 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

If it improves your spirits, I used a motor-less miter box that was

at least 35 years old! But I'm pretty sure the miter box was more

dialed-in than the door frame. I will be up to the challenge when my

next door comes around.

After cutting rough cornice work for a while on the old rock maple boxes with a back saw ( I was allowed to cut base and shoe mold with some practice) the company I worked for acquired one of these after landing some large trim contracts.

http://tinyurl.com/omr527h

Man I hated that saw. Just hated it. It had the singular distinction of being out of accuracy after about two weeks of job use and there was no way to adjust it. Hard to carry, hard to transport, it was not made for anything but stationary shop use. When sent to trim out a job by myself I used to take my shop made miter box and a belt sander and got much better results.. The guys sure liked using that old monster, though. It made them feel like real pros.

I have no idea who buys those things these days, and never see anyone use them.

Robert