Posted to uk.d-i-y
Artic[_2_] Artic[_2_] is offline

Default A rather disturbing website...

John Rumm scribbled...

On 26/08/2013 17:57, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:48:04 on
Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Chris Hogg remarked:
It has me anywhere within the M25. Only 300 miles out, which I'm quite
pleased about!

Which simply proves that geolocation based on IP address is crap.

However, should you be using a laptop (let alone mobile) with wifi,
there are tools/databases that people can use which will quite likely
locate you within a few hundred yards.

I don't think you mean with wifi do you? Locating a laptop on wifi
should get you no further information that the IP address of the router
providing the wifi. The same information that you would get for a wired
machine on the same lan.

A laptop on 3G mobile data however may well be be located more accurately.

Google collect(ed) wireless nats with their streetview cars, and
combined it with addresses. For a time it was possible to get that info
from their database.

There are companies that can locate mobile phones and for a short time
one website did it for free.

Then we have Win 8 with TPM 2
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...any_windows_8/