Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default turntable abd pickup ?

On Monday, August 26, 2013 5:27:46 PM UTC+1, Jim Hawkins wrote:

Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

I'd definitely go for old kit. There are many good decks about, and at least some good pickups. Shure did some nice ones, though a few lemons too. If its for dj use, Stanton was the usual choice, good but not brilliant, and if you find one an old Thorens deck with pause makes life a bit easier.

I never liked Technics stuff that much. Decent enough, but not really audiophile.

If your budget's minimal, there's always Dual decks, preferably the wooden ones. Sit them on a few towels and you get quite a good result for peanuts.

NT