Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default turntable abd pickup ?

Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem seems to be almost everything these days has a usb or some other
data interface rather than good old analogue connections.

Brian

Email:

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

They tend to be either USB junk - just for transferring to HD - or high
end these days. I'd keep an eye out for decent secondhand stuff.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default turntable and pickup ?

Jim Hawkins wrote:

Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim, if you're interested in a secondhand unit you could do worse that look
at the classified ads on the AV Forums site: http://tinyurl.com/297bvfr .

A search for "turntable" in the Home Cinema and Hi-Fi section throws up at
least five examples within the last ten days or so, at widely varying
prices. All are currently unsold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:27:46 +0100, Jim Hawkins wrote:

Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup of current manufacture and
of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

Can you indicate your budget?

Project are a good brand of turntable.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ssential/proj-
essential-blk

might do what you want.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 17:27, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

Rega or Project and an Audio Technica cartridge.

You'd likely get good quality with an ebayed Technics direct drive for a
fraction of the cost, however.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 17:27, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.c...FZPItAodtzAAlg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 26, 2013 5:27:46 PM UTC+1, Jim Hawkins wrote:

Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup
of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ?

Jim Hawkins

I'd definitely go for old kit. There are many good decks about, and at least some good pickups. Shure did some nice ones, though a few lemons too. If its for dj use, Stanton was the usual choice, good but not brilliant, and if you find one an old Thorens deck with pause makes life a bit easier.

I never liked Technics stuff that much. Decent enough, but not really audiophile.

If your budget's minimal, there's always Dual decks, preferably the wooden ones. Sit them on a few towels and you get quite a good result for peanuts.

NT

Ion it USB turntable klem kedidelhopper Electronics Repair 28 November 23rd 11 11:13 PM
OT--USB turntable Pdk Pdk Home Repair 26 July 1st 09 01:28 PM
Pioneer PL-600 Turntable Oddjob Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 06 04:57 PM
Turntable Help Josh Nightingale Electronics Repair 15 March 9th 04 04:29 PM
Dual CS 508 Turntable David Wood Electronics Repair 2 December 31st 03 02:03 AM