Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal porch versus wood porch cover

On 8/25/2013 11:24 PM, gregz wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/25/2013 6:51 PM, Andy wrote:

The generator may be hooked up for a week.

I thought that would be a consideration in the design of the cover.

Those things are very noisy and maybe a cover for it by itself with
some sound insulation.

I have seen plans for adding a car muffler to a generator.

I heard that 3 8x8x10' would be sufficient for the 20 ft. run.

Andy

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed
in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.
It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

Gas in basement ?

Greg

The genset ran on natural gas as did the fellow's furnace and water
heater which were also in the basement. Usually a "stationary" genset
installed in a home will be run on propane or natural gas. If the genset
is the size of a small car and the homeowner wealthy enough to
own a large enough house to need a really big generator, the genset
could be a diesel fueled unit. ^_^

TDD