Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Metalworking: Annealing brass?

In article , Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Richard fired this volley in news:r4idnW1-
:

Spattering, sticky lead, and the
fact that lead is a dangerous poison make this not such a good idea.

PIFFLE! Do you never cast bullets?
IF you're concerned with breathing lead fumes, wear a mask.

But anyway... lead doesn't melt close _enough_ to 700F to properly do the
job. Even Super Hard doesn't melt much above about 650F.

As far as "sticky" ???? You've never heard of smoking a piece; right?

I don't reload, but it occurs to me that one of those heat guns
intended for stripping paint and the like could work, and won't be so
likely to overheat things. Many are advertised as being adjustable in
the 500 to 700 F range.

Put cases in a shallow pan of water, heat the necks, tip the cases over
into the water.

Joe Gwinn