Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default circuit breaker as an input device

On Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:47:29 AM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have a sub-panel in my greenhouse that is fed by an incoming wire from the main house panel. The incoming wire is directly feeding a 30 amp breaker, therefore I can disconnect the power to the panel by simply tripping the breaker therein. (Also within the panel are two additional 15 amp breakers, one for lights and the other for a single outlet.

I've always liked the convenience of the "breaker input" instead of hard wiring the input directly to the panel. Does this method meet code? Any hazards? Any down-side?

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary

The code requires that all equipment be installed in accordance with it's listing and marking. If you check that equipment in the listings you will find that you are instructed to use a tie down kit when using a plug on breaker as a main breaker for the buss that it plugs on to. That is so that the breaker can not be readily removed from the buss while it's buss clamps are energized. Install the listed tie down kit and you are good to go.

Is the feeder to the greenhouse panel three wire or four?
Is your greenhouse a detached structure in relation to the building in which the Service Equipment that supplies the feeder is located?
If detached when was it built?