Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Recycling

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mr Pounder" wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mr Pounder" wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mr Pounder" wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mr Pounder" wrote:

I used to know a bloke who lives in the south.
He once told me that they have to wrap the food waste up in
newspaper and then put it in the bin. To me this seems to be
begging for flies, maggots and horrible smells.

How can flies get in if the bin is locked? We have a small grey
bin for this purpose and it's collected once a week. As the food
waste *is* wrapped up in paper that makes it harder for flies
anyway, even if the lid were open (which it's not).

We put the food waste in sealed plastic bags and then in the
bin.

Ours is in paper so it can be composted. Which it all is and
then sold. In fact the council gives us an even smaller grey bin
for indoor collection of food waste, but we don't see the point
of that - just take it straight out to the proper bin after
wrapping it in paper.

And we only put meat/fish/catfood waste in that anyway. All
vegetable scraps we compost ourselves.

Food wrapped in newspaper rotting and stinking for two weeks. I
think not.

**** me, you need new glasses. What part of "it's collected weekly"
is too hard for you to understand?

Yours may be, the bloke I was referring to has a two week collection.
Sorry to confuse you, I should have made myself clearer.
Do you really have to wrap stinking cat **** in paper?

:-)

That is not supposed to go in the food recycling bin, wrapped in paper
or no. If we still had my cat (RIP two weeks ago) and it used a litter
tray, that would get put in the landfill bin.

Fair enough.
We have 3 wheelie bins:
One for garden waste which we can also put waste food in. We don't.
One for tins, glass, plastic etc which we are not allowed to bag up.
One for general rubbish. We use this mainly for bagged up kitchen waste.
And a plastic box with a lid for paper. The paper is also allowed in the
general bin ffs.
I use big bin liners in the garden and tin bin. This slows down the
****ed up and stinking process.
It was bin men day today. I left the top of the tin bin open to dry up
the spilt pop etc. It was immediately invaded by flies.
The system works well and I still find wrapping waste food in newspaper
quite unhygienic.
Maybe its not all that grim in the north.

We give a quick rinse to all bottles/tins etc so they are fairly clean as
they go in & I give them a shake to get rid of loose water.

I really can't be arsed doing that.

my sister puts tins (for recycling) in the dishwasher :-(

tim