Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycling

On Saturday 24 August 2013 11:12 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'd not thought of that, makes sense. Just wherever I read it in one of
the council pamphlets I came away gave the impression of being stuck in
ovens and baked (which I wouldn't put past the average council and their
kooki ideas.)

Even the open pile (when I say "pile" it's actually the size of a small
house!) at one of the bigger dumps round here bellows steam on a good day.

I suspect, but don;t know for sure, that food waster composters have to be
enclosed and temperature monitored. An unenclosed pile like I saw obviously
gets bloody hot inside, but the surface will still be cool (not hot enough
to kill pathogens in the food waste). If it were enclosed in a covered
concrete bunker or something, it would probably get really hot all the way
through.

Hotter it gets, faster it composts so there is a win-back for the investment
in the right environment - the local dumps here all have big piles of bagged
compost made (somewhere else) from their green waste selling at a few quid a
bag - and it's pretty nice stuff.

Reading this on the web? See: