Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Recycling

On 24/08/2013 08:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 23 August 2013 21:43 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 23/08/2013 20:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

On 23/08/2013 11:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Huge wrote:

I'd send a bill to your council for the time you spend sorting
your rubbish, a task you already pay them for.

Rubbish. If you want them to do it, they'll have to charge more.

Not necessarily. Mixed recycling results in a significantly larger
volume of materials being recycled. Many councils argue that the
resulting higher income more than covers the additional cost of
sorting it.

I think that's the theory they're working on here, not only have they
gone from 4 bins collected by 3 lorries to 2 bins collected by 2
lorries, they've also gone from fortnightly recycling to weekly
recycling (keeping weekly rubbish too), they've then got to sort it, so
they must see an upside to the new scheme ...

They approximate figures are that the council gets paid about £15 for
recyclables and has to pay about £60 for landfill (per tonne?).
People like hugh that refuse to recycle are costing us money.
They should pay more than those that recycle and not expect others to
subsidise their idleness.

I hope you are driving your own rubbish to the landfill and not expecting
others to subsidise your idleness.

I leave it out with the recycling so they can collect it at the same
time as the rest. If I take it to the tip it will cost them more to
handle it and then take it to landfill.