Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycling

polygonum wrote:
On 24/08/2013 07:43, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:23:29 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

BTW I understand polystyrene is easy to re-cycle but isn't because EU
targets are set by weight.

About 3 years ago the council said that we could recycle yoghurt pot
but not
polystyrene. At that time the pots I had were labelled PS!
Still, I have been told by more than one person that pots, rigid boxes
etc,
aren't PS because PS is white and crumbly.

Our rules currently state that we are allowed to dispose of plastic
bottles - but not most other plastic items such as pots, trays, and so on.

I keep wondering how a bottle is defined? I could understand if they
said something like typical PET fizzy drink bottles - but the range
between them and the other bottle-like containers is vast and poorly
defined. And how come they make no specification whatsoever about which
plastic the bottle is made from?

Because the vast majority, if not all, fizzy drinks bottles are made
from the same material. I've not looked, but I suspect that all the
plastic bottles you buy in the supermarket, with the possible exception
of milk bottles, which have a totally different "feel" when you pick
them up, are made of the same material.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.