Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_30_] Andy[_30_] is offline

Default Metal porch versus wood porch cover

On Friday, August 23, 2013 12:57:43 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 06:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Andy

wrote:

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

It would be added on to the house.

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Comments on other areas welcome too.

Wait a minute. You're contracting to do something you don't know how

to do? And asking here?

Talk to tradesmen who know about the engineering/construction methods.

Then decide whether you want to squeeze your customer for the most

money, or give him the best recommendation.

Canopies/awnings/small roofs made of metal/fiberglass/plastic

materials will always be lighter and easier to maintain.

Esthetics is another issue.

Concerning your belief that I don't know what I am doing.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

Take care.

Andy