Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Recycling

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Friday 23 August 2013 10:34 tim..... wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
We have three bins in our kitchen, one for food scraps, one for
recycling
(don't have to sort it, everything goes in one bag), and a third for
'general waste'.

It occurs to me, that we throw out either food waste or recycling stuff.
What would you throw away that doesn't fall into either of those
categories?

The "instructions" on my recycling bin supplied by my new LA (one next to
yours) says that the only metal you can put in is tins and the only
plastic you can put in is bottles.

All other metal/plastic has to go in the general waste

tim

That's pretty poor. Ours says types 1,2 or 3 plastics. They do not care
what
form the plastic takes as long as it has a little triangle with the number
on the base (most items do these days).

They say:

"Plastic containers, yoghurt pots, butter/margarine tubs, ice cream tubs,
etc are not currently recycled as there is no viable market"

I made a mistake. They also take Aluminium foil, but that wasn't my beef
about the metals

I had some waste steel piping that must be worth doing something with, but
it went in the normal waste as I certainly wasn't going to walk to the
council tip 2 miles away, with it.