Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised patio

On Thursday 22 August 2013 11:13 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Thursday 22 August 2013 10:58 fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , Jon
Connell writes
I currently have a 90cm high run of steps running across the back of the
house going down into the garden to a ground-level patio. The steps are
bonkers steep, been left to go to hell with weathering and the patio
looks like crap anyway. So, the wife-approved plan is a raised patio to
the height of the initial step more or less like this:

http://www.colonialstone.com/index.p...mage_full/125/

The final area of the patio is quite large at 5x8 metres so I thought
maybe concrete beams and blocks. They're pretty cheap and it would mean
the new patio was very even and I could build a very slight slope for
water to run off. I guess plan B would be filling the curtain wall with
hardcore, but I do like the idea of learning to use some new materials.

Thoughts or counter suggestions anyone?

Sounds like a great idea, better suited to a pile than decking.

Rolling it over in my head I wondered about not fully beaming out the
floor but slabbing it and only putting beams at the slab joins, so only
supporting 2 edges. Then thought about bedding and moved from cement to
some kind of conformal foam (neoprene?) strip the width of the beams at
a thickness to avoid cobbling but thin enough so there was not constant
vertical movement. Thinking on how to grout the unsupported gaps -
don't, just butt the slabs and allow some drainage into the underspace.

I'd probably give some access to the underside for maintenance or to
deal with potential rodent or insect activity.

How about these:

http://www.wallbarn.com/products/roo...hes/mega-pads-
extended-height-paving-support-pads/

I'm assuming that you have an existing solid base?

Will not be cheaper but will be a lot easier than concrete beams.

Supplier (for pricing):

http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/b.../pave-support-
pads/adjustable-pave-support-pads.html

Reading this on the web? See: