Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist project demonstration ideas needed for threshing shows

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:47:30 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:04:20 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

Thanks to all of you for the inputs.

I guess we still have some thinking to do about lathe projects. The
whistle sounds good.

We did get our 9" south bend lathe set up and running.
We got the 12" Cincinnati Shaper Company mechanical shaper pulled out of the
corner of the machine shop area and went through piles of parts to see what
went with it. A couple of hours of pushing, prying and oiling later we got
all the functions operating, but there's still a ways to go before we get
the line shaft powered up and the shaper belted to it. We are thinking
about 40 strokes per minute should be plenty fast for a simple demo. Hoping
to get it cut some nice large chips in mild steel. Plan to use plenty of
oil on the work so we get plenty of smoke, too.

Wish we had a screw machine.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Bravo!

Now look in the yellow pages and call every shop that says Swiss Screw
Machine and tell em you are looking for an old, functional swiss
mechanical machine..and tell them why. Ill bet someone gives you one
out of a back corner somewhere.

Call machinery dealers and tell them the same thing and ask for a
donated machine (they can put their business card on it somewhere)

Ask both groups of people...shops and dealers...do they have anything
really visually neat! that can be powered up and displayed to show how
machining Used to be done, either as a loan or a donation. Mention
you are trying to get people to understand what machining is..and how
important to America it used to be..and needs to be again..yada
yada...and you will likely be up to your ass in donated machines and
people to help move it around and set it up.

Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxvBHXklJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FYXjJEfjAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUIXTbeGppI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I06rp3Mv2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-vIgvB1-o

I found this rather fascinating G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKr09cHIYC8

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013