Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist project demonstration ideas needed for threshing shows

Realizing that so many of you with nothing else to do can turn anything into
political rant, I took a long time composing the subject for this post.
It is NOT of a political nature.

I do a lot of blacksmithing at historical reenactments and threshing shows
to show the visitors "how things used to be done". I really enjoy getting
the visitors interested in what I am doing, but I realize that mostly, their
attention spans are limited and what I am trying to portray may not be high
on theirs list. There is always that "it's like watching paint dry" issue
if I try to do a project that takes a long time, so I try to choose things
that move along quickly and produce items which which the audience can
relate.
----Been doing this for many years and I think I can do it pretty well.

----But, we are in the process of setting up Machine Shop sections within
two of the venues that I attend annually. So we are in need of projects for
this part of the shops that will "wow" them and at the same time teach a
little.
What do you folks do?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete S" fired this volley in news:F6-
:

So we are in need of projects for
this part of the shops that will "wow" them and at the same time teach

little.
What do you folks do?

Pete, my main occupation is designing automated machinery, but I live in
cattle country, and do work for my own farm gear, and for the neighbors,
as well as the first thing.

"Wowing" a crowd with a machining process is a pretty high aspiration.
The average machining process is pretty boring (excuse the pun). It
doesn't glow red hot. It doesn't CLANG on the anvil. It doesn't throw
sparks, and doesn't need a stoked fire. And it doesn't change shape
rapidly.

About the most 'visual' machining process I can think of is turning
coarse threads on large stock with heavy feed. It throws smoking chips.
It gets visibly hot. It happens pretty quickly. It drastically alters
the look of the piece, and produces - from a 'plain' bar of metal -
something brand new that the audience would immediately recognize; a
screw!

About half of the things I do for local farmers involve cleaning up a
part, welding on a new 'stub' and turning threads on it. So it's a
legitimate farm repair.

Slow, big-hole, heavy-feed drilling with lots of gooey, dripping, brown
cutting oil would also be pretty visual, and those curls are impressive
(I guess).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:52:56 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

[...]

first question is...old time machine shop..or state of the art (within
reason) modern machine shop?

Either way..first thing you do is machine little gizmos out of
aluminum or steel as give aways. Something cool and neat and fast and
cheap.

http://www.instructables.com/files/d...136Y.LARGE.jpg

Now if old time machine shop..you have to have a shaper and a drill
press first of all. Then a lathe and then maybe a mill.

When you add the machine shop...this is the PERFECT time to have
close by..small engines and steam engines and cannons and whatnot,
made by yourselves and others. Perhaps a display of small internal
combustion engines that run..etc etc.

I can probably find you a very inexpensive screw machine to
demonstrate how "automation" came to being. Sthrom, Tornos, something
along that line....

Make a little gizmo out of a bar of cheap steel or stainless....shrug.
Steel push pins or something along those lines...to demonstrate the
evolution from blacksmithing to machining...

One can also get kids involved by turning out parts that simply screw
together into some neat little device, made out of donated bar stock.
Fill up some boxes with the parts...put up a sign on how it all goes
together..and let the kids and adults assemble a gizmo that they can
take as a freebie.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Minor point: it's lathe before shaper or mill. We often forget it now,
but everything that involved motive force or a screw required a lathe
-- shafts, pulleys, journals and bushings. Shapers and mills came
later.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can probably find you a very inexpensive screw machine to
demonstrate how "automation" came to being. Sthrom, Tornos, something
along that line....

Assuming antiques, I think this would be cool. Lots a gears and cams
flying around. I suppose you know these things are very hard to setup.
Have it make one simple part out of a soft metal like brass or AL.
Never touch it again.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The machine shop at Greenfield Village let anybody work an old turret
lathe set up to make small brass candlesticks for a small fee. We let
our nephew do it years ago, I think he still has the candlestick. It's
quick and fascinating to watch.

There was a volunteer to guide the effort, and the person doing the
"operating" just pulled the feed handle under the volunteer's
direction.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you are using automated machinery - CNC or screw machine - you
could probably design some little thingies that required several
operations and were good for something - key ring, etc.

Watching someone bore a 4 inch hole in something is boring :-) but
watching an automated machine making bolts is sort of interesting.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

THreading is good, gear cutting might be good as well. Perhaps stack
some small AL blanks on a semi long mandrel and crank out stacks of 12
tooth keychain gears?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/12/2013 3:52, Pete S wrote:
----But, we are in the process of setting up Machine Shop sections
within two of the venues that I attend annually. So we are in need of
projects for this part of the shops that will "wow" them and at the same
time teach a little.
What do you folks do?

Do you still have bottles with corks that need an opening tool?
Punch or machine some opening tools (that attach to key-ring) as
give-aways. I have one in my keyring I got some 15+ years ago,
cnc-machined from some hardened aluminium. Could simply mill one
from empty ammo cardridge.

Use a custom die to form some simple candle-holders from plate,
could also use something like spot-welding to assemble holder piece
(for finger). Especially girls/women might be interested for
making their traditional night-light-candle-holder.

If sparks are allowed and a little excitement, make simple
throwing knives and throw them to a target after finishing each..
Would be easy with (plasma-cutter and) belt-grinder, for example.
Throwing knife doesn't need to be too fancy from material
point of view, so easy to make so it lasts a few times of throwing.
Wow-factor of 2 with sparks AND throwing knives for all males.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
[...]

I was thinking time lapse video of a CNC machining process or three.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recall posts from that shop instructor in Connecticut (what was his
name?) about NEMES going to shows and making whistles that were give-aways.

Here we go, kinda: it was Errol Groff who posted. And the NEMES site
has a "WHISTLE plans HERE" box, but with no link. Wait ... I found a
post from Errol on Google Groups with this link:
http://neme-s.org/images/PDF%20Files...nload_page.htm

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 19:10:30 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I recall posts from that shop instructor in Connecticut (what was his
name?) about NEMES going to shows and making whistles that were give-aways.

Here we go, kinda: it was Errol Groff who posted. And the NEMES site
has a "WHISTLE plans HERE" box, but with no link. Wait ... I found a
post from Errol on Google Groups with this link:
http://neme-s.org/images/PDF%20Files...nload_page.htm

Bob

....then there were the little trinkets that the boys at the Corning
Glass exhibit at IMTS-82 were making for their visitors of a certain
age -- hash pipes machined from MACOR machineable ceramic.

Not recommended for family events...d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I recall posts from that shop instructor in Connecticut (what was his
name?) about NEMES going to shows and making whistles that were give-aways.

Here we go, kinda: it was Errol Groff who posted. And the NEMES site
has a "WHISTLE plans HERE" box, but with no link. Wait ... I found a
post from Errol on Google Groups with this link:
http://neme-s.org/images/PDF%20Files...nload_page.htm

Bob

The slide whistle would be easily done on a screw machine with a
couple mods

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete S wrote:
[...]

One of the places I visit runs a small chain making machine, another has
a high speed thumbscrew machine. They never seem to have a crowd near
them though....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete S" wrote in message
[...]

Most people like to watch other people exercising their expert skill. They
are usually not as interested in a machine doing something by itself. So, I
do not have any specific recommendations on what to make, just that it
should have a lot of quick operations with a lot of operator intervention.
Maybe use a lot of fine metrology tools. People are usually amazed that you
can make something to a couple of 1/10000" without ultra hi-tech equipment,
especially when you explain that is about 1/20th of a human hair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This looks like an interesting tool to make & demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLy1ILLFuY there are a lot of designs
online, and they all claim to have invented it.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hey! I like that tool! How much are they?

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

This looks like an interesting tool to make & demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLy1ILLFuY there are a lot of designs
online, and they all claim to have invented it.

Hey! I like that tool! How much are they?

No idea. The guys I've seen listing them are in England and all they
had was an email address, no web page. Stanley tools is supposed to be
selling a commercial version in their Fubar series. That's why I'm
going to see about making my own. I had bookmarked a dimensioned
drawing, but it was pulled from that page. I'll bet they could make
something similar & sell them at the show, after letting people try them
on some scrap skids.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about a captive nut.

Has mystery and not too many steps.
Somebody gets to go home with a cool toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdh7-86kE4I

"Pete S" wrote in
:

----But, we are in the process of setting up Machine Shop sections
within two of the venues that I attend annually. So we are in need of
projects for this part of the shops that will "wow" them and at the
same time teach a little.
What do you folks do?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If anyone see where to buy one, please post it. I need one of these.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I can't find them either; I want one
too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/14/2013 7:59 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
If anyone see where to buy one, please post it. I need one of these.

Karl

Hmmmm, a product with a market and no manufacturer? What do you think
it's worth retail?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/12/2013 10:36 PM, anorton wrote:

Most people like to watch other people exercising their expert skill.
They are usually not as interested in a machine doing something by
itself. So, I do not have any specific recommendations on what to make,
just that it should have a lot of quick operations with a lot of
operator intervention. Maybe use a lot of fine metrology tools. People
are usually amazed that you can make something to a couple of 1/10000"
without ultra hi-tech equipment, especially when you explain that is
about 1/20th of a human hair.

Exactly, The trick is communicating the operation and the tolerances.
1/20th of a human hair does mean more than what we call a "tenth".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all of you for the inputs.

I guess we still have some thinking to do about lathe projects. The
whistle sounds good.

We did get our 9" south bend lathe set up and running.
We got the 12" Cincinnati Shaper Company mechanical shaper pulled out of the
corner of the machine shop area and went through piles of parts to see what
went with it. A couple of hours of pushing, prying and oiling later we got
all the functions operating, but there's still a ways to go before we get
the line shaft powered up and the shaper belted to it. We are thinking
about 40 strokes per minute should be plenty fast for a simple demo. Hoping
to get it cut some nice large chips in mild steel. Plan to use plenty of
oil on the work so we get plenty of smoke, too.

Wish we had a screw machine.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:04:20 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

Thanks to all of you for the inputs.

I guess we still have some thinking to do about lathe projects. The
whistle sounds good.

We did get our 9" south bend lathe set up and running.
We got the 12" Cincinnati Shaper Company mechanical shaper pulled out of the
corner of the machine shop area and went through piles of parts to see what
went with it. A couple of hours of pushing, prying and oiling later we got
all the functions operating, but there's still a ways to go before we get
the line shaft powered up and the shaper belted to it. We are thinking
about 40 strokes per minute should be plenty fast for a simple demo. Hoping
to get it cut some nice large chips in mild steel. Plan to use plenty of
oil on the work so we get plenty of smoke, too.

Wish we had a screw machine.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Bravo!

Now look in the yellow pages and call every shop that says Swiss Screw
Machine and tell em you are looking for an old, functional swiss
mechanical machine..and tell them why. Ill bet someone gives you one
out of a back corner somewhere.

Call machinery dealers and tell them the same thing and ask for a
donated machine (they can put their business card on it somewhere)

Ask both groups of people...shops and dealers...do they have anything
really visually neat! that can be powered up and displayed to show how
machining Used to be done, either as a loan or a donation. Mention
you are trying to get people to understand what machining is..and how
important to America it used to be..and needs to be again..yada
yada...and you will likely be up to your ass in donated machines and
people to help move it around and set it up.

Seriously.

Gunner

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks to all of you for the inputs.

I guess we still have some thinking to do about lathe projects. The
whistle sounds good.

We did get our 9" south bend lathe set up and running.
We got the 12" Cincinnati Shaper Company mechanical shaper pulled out of the
corner of the machine shop area and went through piles of parts to see what
went with it. A couple of hours of pushing, prying and oiling later we got
all the functions operating, but there's still a ways to go before we get
the line shaft powered up and the shaper belted to it. We are thinking
about 40 strokes per minute should be plenty fast for a simple demo. Hoping
to get it cut some nice large chips in mild steel. Plan to use plenty of
oil on the work so we get plenty of smoke, too.

Wish we had a screw machine.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

http://todaysmachiningworld.com/the-...crew-machines/

http://graffpinkert.com/

You will see why I posted both links when you read the first one.

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxvBHXklJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FYXjJEfjAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUIXTbeGppI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I06rp3Mv2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-vIgvB1-o

I found this rather fascinating G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKr09cHIYC8

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cool. I watched some more of the fireworks-making flicks after that.

The best one so far? A 36" shell called The Big One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xVGy56u6U

I wonder if Lloyd would share some of his creations' explosions with
us.

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Trailer Winch project - ideas needed Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 10 August 2nd 12 10:00 AM
Help with project ideas m Woodworking 10 December 18th 08 09:19 AM
Ideas for project for new baby ToolMiser Woodworking 9 January 22nd 05 04:05 PM
Designer/machinist needed Greensboro, North Carolina Cliff Metalworking 66 November 25th 04 10:40 PM