Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Need advice on emergency bent trumpet horn repair

pilgrim wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:44:08 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Take or send the trumpet to a professional trumpet-repair place and only to
a professional trumpet-repair place. Check with the band department at
your local high-school to find out where they take or send their mangled
trumpets. A way to work within your two-day time frame might be to flop
down a couple of hundred bucks for a replacement instrument. Maybe you'll
be able to fool the kid's mother. Best of luck to you and to your
grandchild.

I googled for "trumpet bell repair" and got lots of hits.

Hi,
If it's not an expensive one, just chuck it and get another. You can
even buy new one for ~100.00, made in China or India. But then El Cheapo
instrument can hinder learning process. They are very stuffy and
tonal quality is minimal.