Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Default Need advice on emergency bent trumpet horn repair

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Brass ball peen hammer, brass anvil?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/19/2013 5:44 AM, Danny D. wrote:
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:44:08 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

If you were anyone else but the grandfather or grandmother, I would
say it's not your place to touch it and you should let his parents (or
whoever paid for it, decide what to do.)

But still, I don't think there is anything you or I can do that will
make it look original, or close enough that she won't notice if she
ever picks it up, or if she looks at it while he's playing.

Is there a place that make's trumpets nearby. Maybe they can put it
in the form they use in the first place and sqeeze it down again. Or
a music store that sells instruments can tell you who repairs them

I would not use a hammer. It will put little dents in on top of the
big dent and they will be harder to get out.

If I were trying to do it myself I would get someone who is used to
autobody work by hand**, or bending metal in general (I always bend
metal, usually until it breaks, before I throw it away.) and have him
do it by hand, with his thumbs in just the right place, moving them as
necessary.

**I've been able to make a 3 foot dent into a 6" dent, such that the
first 2.5 feet look perfect, with my hands or my foot,, but usually I
can't get the last 6" with just my hands or if I did, I know t here
would be a wrinkle in it. . Of course that is steel and not brass,
but it's thinner too.

How old is he? Was he roughhousing or being careless or was it the
kind of accident even an adult might have?

How does it sound? Maybe if it has extra sounds, one can get rid of
them without fully repairing it.

Can he get by the way it is, until he decides he's serious about the
trumpet and would want a better one anyhow?

He seems to have done a lot of damage. Does that mean it's soft and a
person can put it back with his thumbs, or did he drop it a long way?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Did the kid drop it from the 5th or 6th floor?

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Did the kid drop it from the 5th or 6th floor?

That was the first question I had upon seeing it.
I don't think he 'dropped' it. I think he got ****ed, and THREW it down.

Maybe, given the cost to Momma for that horn, he should 'fess-up first,
THEN seek to get it repaired. Any good musical instruments shop would
have leads on brass horn repair people.

Lloyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

"Danny D." wrote in message
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his
mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

That can be fixed, but it very easy to make it worse, so I suggest a
professional.
Call a school that still has a band and ask who does theirs.

You won't get it back in time. Convince him to 'fess up.
Don't rat him out though, nobody likes a stool pigeon.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Danny,

I think this is beyond simple repair. He's going to have to face Mom. I
hope this is not a school rental.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

[...]

Someone tried to bend it back in shape with their fingers. I see
fingerprints around the damaged area in the second photo.

This Youtube video shows how a trumpet is made
The part of the video that shows how the damaged horn can be repaired
starts at 1:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

....snip...

Someone tried to bend it back in shape with their fingers. I see
fingerprints around the damaged area in the second photo.

This Youtube video shows how a trumpet is made
The part of the video that shows how the damaged horn can be repaired starts at 1:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

The hammering part at 1:40 might be doable as a repair attempt, but there's
no way you can spin the trumpet In a lathe. You'll note that all of the
lathe work was done when the pipe was still straight. It was the lathe work
that smoothed out the hammer marks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Danny D. wrote:
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Hi,
I am a life time brass player, still do in a local community band with
vintage euphonium. Is it expensive name brand horn? Or just student
model Yamaha kind? Regardless take it to a shop they will do a good job
so he can be ready for school next month. It looks easy to fix it but
believe me, you can mess it up w/o experience and proper tools.
I am sure local shops are already busy getting ready for rental program
with their inventory.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Brass ball peen hammer, brass anvil?

Since we cannot buy a brass anvil, i.e. would need
to commission that one be constructed, the OP is
likely to find professional repair would be cheaper.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On 8/19/2013 5:44 AM, Danny D. wrote:
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Not a DIY job unless you have some metal working experience. Call a
musical instrument shop and ank who they use. Alternatively, a shop
that does custom body work or restoration or builds custom motorcycles.

If the instrument is of some value, a pro can make it look like new with
the right tools. Even a hack can make it without the big bend, but it
will be visible.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:55:36 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Did the kid drop it from the 5th or 6th floor?

That was the first question I had upon seeing it.
I don't think he 'dropped' it. I think he got ****ed, and THREW it
down.

If it's a student model horn, that damage can come from it being
dropped. They're made from soft brass, and the student models are made
light for little arms to hold up. (Pro trumpets are heavy because a
stiffer horn sounds better).

My kid did about half that much damage by knocking one off a chair,
witnessed by SWMBO.

I wouldn't take it anywhere but a shop that specifically does that kind
of repair. There are specialized bucks that are made specifically for
fixing that damage, and people experienced at doing the work.

There'll be evidence of the repair -- the shop will make it sound good
and look right from ten feet away, but close inspection will show
creases. Confession is good or the soul (and the body, if you can't
cover things up).

Wally's Music in Oregon City, Oregon, if you live close enough.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Dents add character, put a few more in it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

"Danny D." wrote in message
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his
mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On 08/19/2013 06:17 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
willshak wrote:

This Youtube video shows how a trumpet is made
The part of the video that shows how the damaged horn can be repaired starts at 1:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

The hammering part at 1:40 might be doable as a repair attempt, but there's
no way you can spin the trumpet In a lathe. You'll note that all of the
lathe work was done when the pipe was still straight. It was the lathe work
that smoothed out the hammer marks.

Not to mention that it will need to be annealed first so that the metal
doesn't break. Definitely something that needs to go to a professional
to be repaired.

OP needs to 'fess up before further damage is done to the instrument.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

My hat's off (and most of my hair) to whomsoever
is spoofing me. You're doing better than I.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/19/2013 11:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Dents add character, put a few more in it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Put the horn on the kid's head, and then
hammer. Use his head instead of brass
anvil.

Oh, you want to straighten out the horn,
not the boy??

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Danny D." wrote in message
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his
mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Heavy sedation for Mom, until the kid can go back
to school and get another trumpet? I mean, the
school has to have a couple spares. Couple of
large denomination bills, for the teacher. And,
no one needs to know.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/19/2013 10:58 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

Since we cannot buy a brass anvil, i.e. would need
to commission that one be constructed, the OP is
likely to find professional repair would be cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

SNIP

Someone tried to bend it back in shape with their fingers. I see
fingerprints around the damaged area in the second photo.

This Youtube video shows how a trumpet is made
The part of the video that shows how the damaged horn can be repaired
starts at 1:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

What a interesting video. Great craftsman work. WW
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:44:17 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

[...]

What a interesting video. Great craftsman work. WW

That was very interesting. Notice it stated to use a rawhide mallet -
pounding brass.

IIRC the show _ How It's Made_ had an episode on making tubas.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

[...]
What a interesting video. Great craftsman work. WW

That was very interesting. Notice it stated to use a rawhide mallet -
pounding brass.

IIRC the show _ How It's Made_ had an episode on making tubas.

Fairly standard when you don't want to compress and stretch the material
to use a mallet head material softer than what you're working, rawhide
is suitable for brass, copper. When I was doing some metal smithing of
pewter in high school we used paper mallets as pewter (Britannia metal)
is very soft. Unfortunately the mill that made them was old, the market
small, and when OSHA wanted them to upgrade safety it wasn't worthwhile
so they closed the company. Nylon was used instead but had to be used
with care as it could mark pewter especially if the nylon surface was
damaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

[...]

A great video.

I see three problems for the OP. Getting it on the lathe with the
rest of the trumpet attached. Maybe that can be detached but just
disconnecting my water heater pipes wasn't easy.

Getting the temp down to, what, 40 below zero C? I guess that part
has been done already.

He may not have enough tattoos.

Maybe someone can make a form and force the trumpet bell to fit it.
What kind of hammer did they use. I couldn't hear.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

[...]

Typically sandbags and specialized hammers and drifts are used

This may help. Its not an uncommon problem..but it can be fairly
expensive to fix "properly"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=trumpet+repair+california

Simply change the state to whatever state/provence you live in.

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

The kid can take it to school and get another one. Problem solved.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Tony, I always knew you were a blow hard.

Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Danny D. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On 8/19/2013 10:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/19/2013 5:44 AM, Danny D. wrote:
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell
his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Not a DIY job unless you have some metal working experience. Call a
musical instrument shop and ank who they use. Alternatively, a shop
that does custom body work or restoration or builds custom motorcycles.

If the instrument is of some value, a pro can make it look like new with
the right tools. Even a hack can make it without the big bend, but it
will be visible.

Yea, the motorcycle shop could even put some flame decals on the horn. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

"David Billington" wrote in message
...Nylon was used instead but had to be used

with care as it could mark pewter especially if the nylon surface
was damaged.

I wonder how well hot melt glue would work. It can be resurfaced with
a hot air gun.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Then, the kid can eat beans and shove the trumpet. Strike a match.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Tig welding is faster.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/19/2013 5:48 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Billington" wrote in message
...Nylon was used instead but had to be used

with care as it could mark pewter especially if the nylon surface
was damaged.

I wonder how well hot melt glue would work. It can be resurfaced with
a hot air gun.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On 8/19/2013 5:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Then, the kid can eat beans and shove the trumpet. Strike a match.

He should study the technique of this guy. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Tig welding is faster.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 8/19/2013 5:48 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Billington" wrote in
message
...Nylon was used instead but had to be used
with care as it could mark pewter especially if the nylon surface
was damaged.

I wonder how well hot melt glue would work. It can be resurfaced
with
a hot air gun.

jsw

Cast the soft hammer face out of hot melt glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Toss it in the garbage and buy an identical one at a music store.

If you cant find a replacement, just wrap it with duct tape and tell the
parents a drunken redneck in a rolled over pickup truck, stole it, and
you had to beat the guy over the head with it to get it back.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Take or send the trumpet to a professional trumpet-repair place and only to
a professional trumpet-repair place. Check with the band department at
your local high-school to find out where they take or send their mangled
trumpets. A way to work within your two-day time frame might be to flop
down a couple of hundred bucks for a replacement instrument. Maybe you'll
be able to fool the kid's mother. Best of luck to you and to your
grandchild.

I googled for "trumpet bell repair" and got lots of hits.

Hi,
If it's not an expensive one, just chuck it and get another. You can
even buy new one for ~100.00, made in China or India. But then El Cheapo
instrument can hinder learning process. They are very stuffy and
tonal quality is minimal.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

On 8/19/2013 4:44 AM, Danny D. wrote:
My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

I once asked Dizzy Gillespie if he wanted me, a metalworker, to fix his
bent horn. He said, "no, I've gotten used to it."

David

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

wrote:

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9...ac58b3d1_o.gif

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Just an opinion, but that wasn't just dropped - it either fell from a
great height or was thrown with some vigor.

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9...ebdf135f_o.gif

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

She still has to be told - it'll go easier on both you and the kid if
he just fesses up to it now, versus if she finds out after the fact.

If this trumpet is School Property, they have to be told too -
because when the repair shop sees the School Property tag they are
going to get a call anyway.

And unless you're sending it back to the OEM Factory for repairs, they
probably have their own repair connections. Los Angeles Unified runs
their own complete instrument repair shops.

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Problem is they need to anneal the metal with a torch flame or a stint
in a heat-treat oven to soften it up first, and that means the whole
thing needs to be stripped of the old lacquer, buffed out, and clear
coated again when it's all done. You can't just hammer it back in
shape, the metal will stretch and distort.

The best way would be to unsolder the bell, anneal it, stick it back
on the spinning lathe on the original form, and gently spin it back
into shape - possibly with a torch shrinking or two, where they heat
it up then hit it with a wet cloth to suck in the stretch. That's
going to be either the original trumpet maker's factory or someone who
has an exact duplicate of the bell form.

Then they solder it back onto the rest of the trumpet, and do the
usual strip buff and lacquer on the whole instrument.

Then again, if this is a $99 (No Name) Indonesia Special you toss it
out - or give it to the instrument repair guys for spare parts.

Then help the kid into a good Conn or Selmer. They sound a whole lot
better, and are far more easily repairable when stuff like this
happens again. And it will.

-- Bruce --

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's easily fixable, and an experienced brass musical instrument technician sees a lot of them like that.

Whether it's cost effective depends on the horn.

I'd guess it will cost $200 to $400 to repair and look like new.

You can get a Chinese import for $150 and they play reasonably well.

A Bach Stradivarius costs $2500 and up.

This is one repair that you can't do yourself. Well, you could, but you're going to mess up the first 50 or so learning.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Take or send the trumpet to a professional trumpet-repair place and only to
a professional trumpet-repair place. Check with the band department at
your local high-school to find out where they take or send their mangled
trumpets. A way to work within your two-day time frame might be to flop
down a couple of hundred bucks for a replacement instrument. Maybe you'll
be able to fool the kid's mother. Best of luck to you and to your
grandchild.

I googled for "trumpet bell repair" and got lots of hits.

Fill it with gun powder, add a long fuse. Place it outdoors far from
any buildings, light the fuse, and run like hell. When it blows, the
dent will be gone. Of course the whole trumpet may be gone too, but
that's the risk you take.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2013 7:36 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Did the kid drop it from the 5th or 6th floor?

Truth be told, I think Grumpy Grampa became tired
of listening to the kid attempt to play the trumpet,
wrestled it out of the kids hands and threw it out the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music

Oren wrote:

That was very interesting. Notice it stated to use a rawhide mallet -
pounding brass.

Just to update - I haven't done anything on this (nobody asked for it
yet) ... but I will update when there is action.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 19, 2013 5:05:05 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The kid can take it to school and get another one. Problem solved.

I don't know what affluent, well-funded school district you live in but most schools don't just give out musical instruments to students.

If your kid wants to play an instrument, you lease it for the school year through a company that's contracted by the school, or you go out and buy one from a music store or off craigslist.

Likely, this trumpet is OWNED by the kid's parents. There is no "give it back and they'll give you a new one."

This is a GREAT time to teach the kid a lesson about personal responsibility. Send the trumpet home with him and make him own up to damaging it. Helping him hide this from his parents is sending him the wrong message and teaching him bad behavior.

Luckily trumpets are cheap. They ought to be able to find a good used one at a music store or on craigslist, or get this one fixed.

I'm sure a good music store could get the trumpet fixed good as new for not much $$$.

Whatever it costs, make the kid work it off.

Whaever you do QUIT HELPING HIM HIDE IT, and the rest of you quit encouraging him to help this kid LIE to his parents.