Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Electrical question (I know this is a WW forum)

Mike Marlow wrote:
Markem wrote:
Let me startover what I am saying is there is only one 60 hz signal
across the center tapped transformer. Both leads are the same signal
the and do switch polarity 180 degrees at the same time. When you
reference to the neutral and check both with an oscilloscope you see
that the peaks and valleys match on the sine wave adding the together
you get the full 240v.

My problem has been in the description creating an image in my mind
of two sine waves out of phase with each other.

The potential of both of the hot leads oscillates at the same time
and are always 180 degrees apart on the sine wave.

So in the end it was how I interperted what was being said and
creating an image of what was being said as not fully correct in my
head.

Does that make any sense?

Yes - it does. This is one of the more common difficulties when
people talk about phase, polarity, center tap, etc.

But - to me what is most impressive is your decision to step back
from the rhetoric of "I'm right/you're wrong because you just don't
see it", that kind of overtakes conversations like this. Not that
anyone is being intentionally disruptive, but the nature of usenet
conversations is that they become "if you paid attention to what I
said..." kinds of things and it's really obvious that the parties
talking are simply not understanding each other. I'm not accusing
you of that rhetoric - it's what happens in newsgroup discussions. I'm
applauding you for stepping back from what naturally occurs and
enabling the understanding that two or more people are really saying
the same thing even though it did not appear to be so. Symantics and
all that crap.
So - you are wrong. You took a high road for admitting it. I took
an even higher road by complimenting you. Ain't I good?

By the way - I'm known as the Peace-Keeper around here. You can count on me
to be understanding...

--

-Mike-