Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray Carlsen[_2_] Ray Carlsen[_2_] is offline

Default Lorex network DVR failed

How are these cameras used? How do you usually view them. What is the
expected record time? Any mounted outdoors or all indoors?

I can't answer any of those questions simply because I was called in
many months after the system quit and the original installers walked off
with all the paperwork. I had to figure out what the system was supposed
to do myself. There are eight cameras but I only saw two, indoors. They
are powered remotely from a PS at the DVR site. Since the system didn't
work at all, I didn't ask to see all the cameras but some are probably
outdoors.

What is the cost of the system if you have to buy a new one?

From what I heard, they bought the whole system with cameras for about
$500 from Costco and had someone install the equipment. It apparently
worked for perhaps a year before it puked. They didn't call me in until
the system was well out of warranty, so I couldn't do squat. I'm just
looking for the best way to restore what they had.

Suggestion 1) There is supposed to be an ActiveX software that will
allow a web browser to work with the system. Ask Lorex Tech support
how this might be used perhaps in place of the DVR.

What good is software unless you have a way to connect the cameras to
the Internet... with a PC, for example. Isn't that what I asked? Lorex
wasn't at all helpful when I needed information. When equipment goes out
of warranty, they don't want to talk to you. I'm hesitant to buy
anything from a company that doesn't support their goods.

Suggestion 2) Buy Lorex Live Ping LNC-104 cams (two for $179) and use
a PC or laptop or smart-phone or tablet to view and listen (good
audio).

Their cameras still work so they will likely not go for upgrades or
replacements. They liked the 8 camera system they had until it failed so
I'd like to replace it with something better if not too expensive. I can
provide a working PC so the capture card should be the only expense...
if that's the best way to go.

Ray