Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lorex network DVR failed

Hello,
The local fire department has a security system that failed just
out of warranty. It's a Lorex LH118000 eight channel DVR with internet
access for remote viewing of the cameras. The company is no help (model
not sold any longer) but of course wants to sell us a new model. So who
says another one will last any longer? Quality systems can cost
thousands but this department is mostly volunteer and can't afford it.
What to do?
Symptoms: nothing but Lorex logo on screen (video and VGA outputs)
after several seconds when powered up, power and hard drive LEDs lit all
the time, no buttons respond. I tried the usual stuff... holding buttons
down or repeated presses (info from their website) but nothing worked. I
tried replacing the hard drive and removing the internal battery to see
if the system would reset itself... no luck. The PS appears to be
putting out the correct voltages. The DVR internals were actually
surprising... the big SMD's are all heat sinked via the case bottom.
I don't really expect to resurrect this beast but if anyone has an
idea what happened, I'm curious. I've read the reports online for
cheapie systems like this one and they are mostly negative. Since this
device is simply a dedicated computer, I wondered if replacing it with a
standard PC with a capture card installed would offer a more reliable
system overall. Then if any part of it quits, it could be repaired. I'll
have to learn about connecting to the internet securely since I have no
experience beyond working with home routers. I'd appreciate any input on
this. Thanks in advance!

Ray
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hello,

It looks like it is stuck trying to initialize some nonworking hardware.

These beasts usually have a serial port where they output diagnostic messages. You can use a serial cable (direct or nullmodem, only one will work) and connect it to a PC serial port, then run a COM terminal like Hyperterminal or Teraterm. If you see garbage scrolling up you have to manually set the port bit rate etc, just try different settings. You should get plain text messages and probably one or more error messages related to the device it is trying to initialize.

Ray Carlsen wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It looks like it is stuck trying to initialize some nonworking
hardware. These beasts usually have a serial port where they output
diagnostic messages. You can use a serial cable (direct or
nullmodem, only one will work) and connect it to a PC serial port,
then run a COM terminal like Hyperterminal or Teraterm. If you see
garbage scrolling up you have to manually set the port bit rate etc,
just try different settings. You should get plain text messages and
probably one or more error messages related to the device it is
trying to initialize.

Thanks for responding, JP. Unfortunately, this DVR has no serial port.
It does have two USB ports, one for a mouse and another to download
photos or video from the hard drive, according to the manual. Even if I
could access the firmware, other than the hard drive, there is no other
internal hardware... nothing repairable AFAIK.

Ray

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How are these cameras used?
How do you usually view them.
What is the expected record time?
Any mounted outdoors or all indoors?

What is the cost of the system if you have to buy a new one?

Suggestion 1) There is supposed to be an ActiveX software that will
allow a web browser to work with the system. Ask Lorex Tech support
how this might be used perhaps in place of the DVR.

Suggestion 2) Buy Lorex Live Ping LNC-104 cams (two for $179) and use
a PC or laptop or smart-phone or tablet to view and listen (good
audio). PC can record (so can smart-phone and tablet but disk storage
on PC is much larger). Also has PIR motion and pixel motion recording
with eMail or FTP notification. Caveat: indoor only but I use mine
thru windows if oriented correctly so IR lamp on unit does not
interfere with night vision capability. Excellent night vision is B&W.
Daylight or room light is full color. Need LAN with router. Router
with WPS makes for two click setup. Internet needed only for remote
viewing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How are these cameras used? How do you usually view them. What is the
expected record time? Any mounted outdoors or all indoors?

I can't answer any of those questions simply because I was called in
many months after the system quit and the original installers walked off
with all the paperwork. I had to figure out what the system was supposed
to do myself. There are eight cameras but I only saw two, indoors. They
are powered remotely from a PS at the DVR site. Since the system didn't
work at all, I didn't ask to see all the cameras but some are probably
outdoors.

What is the cost of the system if you have to buy a new one?

From what I heard, they bought the whole system with cameras for about
$500 from Costco and had someone install the equipment. It apparently
worked for perhaps a year before it puked. They didn't call me in until
the system was well out of warranty, so I couldn't do squat. I'm just
looking for the best way to restore what they had.

Suggestion 1) There is supposed to be an ActiveX software that will
allow a web browser to work with the system. Ask Lorex Tech support
how this might be used perhaps in place of the DVR.

What good is software unless you have a way to connect the cameras to
the Internet... with a PC, for example. Isn't that what I asked? Lorex
wasn't at all helpful when I needed information. When equipment goes out
of warranty, they don't want to talk to you. I'm hesitant to buy
anything from a company that doesn't support their goods.

Suggestion 2) Buy Lorex Live Ping LNC-104 cams (two for $179) and use
a PC or laptop or smart-phone or tablet to view and listen (good
audio).

Their cameras still work so they will likely not go for upgrades or
replacements. They liked the 8 camera system they had until it failed so
I'd like to replace it with something better if not too expensive. I can
provide a working PC so the capture card should be the only expense...
if that's the best way to go.

Ray

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hi any solution to this problem Ray ? i have exact same problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Did you ever get this fixed??
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DId you ever get this fixed?

Another Failed Presidency Larry Jaques Metalworking 2 November 29th 09 12:41 AM
Another Failed Presidency Ed Huntress Metalworking 0 November 24th 09 04:50 AM
I Failed my EPC!!!! Recyclist UK diy 34 September 11th 09 01:22 PM
The saw board has failed George UK diy 42 August 15th 08 11:43 PM
Failed electro Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 15 August 15th 08 01:39 PM