Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.music
Tim Wescott[_4_] Tim Wescott[_4_] is offline

Default Need advice on emergency bent trumpet horn repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:55:36 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Did the kid drop it from the 5th or 6th floor?

That was the first question I had upon seeing it.
I don't think he 'dropped' it. I think he got ****ed, and THREW it
down.

If it's a student model horn, that damage can come from it being
dropped. They're made from soft brass, and the student models are made
light for little arms to hold up. (Pro trumpets are heavy because a
stiffer horn sounds better).

My kid did about half that much damage by knocking one off a chair,
witnessed by SWMBO.

I wouldn't take it anywhere but a shop that specifically does that kind
of repair. There are specialized bucks that are made specifically for
fixing that damage, and people experienced at doing the work.

There'll be evidence of the repair -- the shop will make it sound good
and look right from ten feet away, but close inspection will show
creases. Confession is good or the soul (and the body, if you can't
cover things up).

Wally's Music in Oregon City, Oregon, if you live close enough.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com