Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Application Just Came In...

On 8/14/2013 6:54 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

COOL, some fun for a change! A couple of questions: What are the
constraints for C-C?

The file is put away, but I believe the C-C was around 2.000"

Can hole tooling be "ganged" to be run from the
same power head?

But of course! Have we met?!?

Are the torque requirements the same for rolling and
cutting threads?

No. I'm not an expert on this because I simply provide the RPM and
sufficient HP based on the tooling manufacturer's suggestions, but roll
form and cut taps do require different settings. I believe roll form to
be more needy in every case I've run across.

What's the difference in percentage of costs to go
PLC?

5-10% if it's my units. If they need to jump to ball screw or servo
feed... 200-2000% or more depending on who they call.

Wouldn't the scrap rate be a LOT lower with the PLC?

Not necessarily. PLC (programmable logic controller, right?) use is
when a fully automated "cell" or similar set-up is in use. Usually for
cycle time efficiency. In this case, the process is happening while
another process that takes quite some time also takes place so I could
run at 1/4 speed and still be done with plenty of time to spare.

What
difference does direction make?

Configuration of the machine mostly. Vertical up or down generally puts
the motor in a position similar to a drill press - hung behind the
mounting plate. Horizontal puts the motor above the unit so that you
can mount to a table top without cutting a hole in it for anything other
than mounting bolts and locator pins, etc.

Do you have to lube? What lube and how
does it get applied?

I'm Sicilian. My skin is generally pretty oily to begin with... Or did
you mean the machine? Pail 'ole air oil in the air source... Or did you
mean the tooling? I leave that up to the customer and their tooling
supplier. Just like buying a drill press or Bridgeport mill, etc, you
wouldn't ask them what coolant to use with your tooling. I try to stay
clear of such discussions because of the liability. The tooling
manufacturer knows better than I do anyway in almost all cases.

You'd love my latest multi-hole drilling operation that consists of a
guy using a Harbor Freight hand drill on a handle clamped in a jig that
has two hardened 0-1 drill guides. When I need more than a couple
hundred a day, I'll have to do something else.

You don't know how many times I suggest similar set-ups for people who
call me thinking I have the best solution for their project - only to be
surprised that their volume doesn't justify a purchase from me. I
usually ask them if they would commute to work daily in an empty school
bus and then transition the analogy to my machines being too much for
their project. ...I just don't feel right selling to folks who really
don't need my stuff and even suggest my competition when I know they can
do better than me.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,