Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default New here - first lathe

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:59:14 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

In article ,
Mac Davis wrote:
As my mentor told me.... "wear eye protection of your next turning
might be a white cane"...
As your other woodworking tools, ride that line between respect and
fear and you'll do far less dumb things (like I seem to do almost
daily)

Like Me too!

I was replacing an old gatepost that had ben screwed to a brick wall. Some
of the screws were impossible to remove (rusted in) but I got the rotting
post off the wall and picked up the angle grider to hack off the
projecting screws. I had to remove the guard to get in close.

Next job, a while later, was taking some length off the "hardened
stainless steel" bar of a digital readout and I hadn't got round to
putting the guard back on. I now have a deep, slowly healing, gash in the
left edge of my left hand!

OUCH!

I usually do things like knowing not to reach across the lathe to
adjust something and doing it anyway... usually getting a good rap on
the knuckles, expecially by wing bowls...