Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
.[_23_] .[_23_] is offline

Default New here - first lathe

On 8/17/2013 8:46 AM, tdacon wrote:

"." wrote in message ...

On 8/16/2013 8:43 PM, tdacon wrote:
New here, just got my first lathe - a funky old Craftsman, looks like it
was from back in the day when Craftsman tools were still pretty good
(I'm a woodworker and I know whereof I speak).

Round tube, maybe 36", Morse #1, motor sitting behind it with
five-position pulleys and a loosey-goosey belt that you can move easily
to adjust the speed. It doesn't seem to have been abused - the plates
and all the decals are still on it, wonder of wonders, but the belt
guard has been removed and discarded or lost, as you would expect on an
old citizen like this.

Came with a miscellaneous selection of turning tools, a few gouges and
skews, a couple parting tools and a scraper or two. Live center, keyed
chuck, arbor for polishing wheels. Pretty well turned out, but no face
plate. We'll go ahead and use it pretty much as-is for a small upcoming
project, but when winter sets in I look forward to sprucing it up.

Here are the numbers. Ring any bells?

Model: 113.23801
Serial: 0219.P0073

Best regards,
Tom

I bought one of those exact lathes once for $5 - it's usable for spindle
work but it isn't very rigid. you will find information about it at
lathes.com.uk and you will find folks who like old wood working machines
at www.owwm.org

Fortunately, spindle work is what we bought it for, so this one will
work fine at least for a starter lathe, once it's spiffed up a little.

The lathes.com.uk link seems to be gone, but owwm is a good resource - I
found a couple pictures of lathes with pretty close model numbers.

Tom

sorry, no "M" in the link, try this www.lathes.co.uk/