Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Tap and Die for thread repair

On 16/08/2013 20:57, asalcedo wrote:
John Rumm;3108139 Wrote:

Hi John, your knowledge is vast!

Na that's my waistline ;-)

I have one more idea:

What about filing down the existing male thread to the maximum possible
smooth diameter, let say it is M7 (I think it is going to be around M7)
and then rethreading the male end to M7 using an M7 die from my tap and
die set

Yup, you might manage that - it will be hard getting a consistent
diameter on the filed bit - although if you spin it and hold the file
you might manage.

'Laser 4554 Metric Tap & Die Set 110pc: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike'
(http://tinyurl.com/kr55x5a)

Then drill a hole into the second ball of the paper holder and tap an M7
thread into it?

Yup that would be ok. You would need a drill bit that matches the minor
diameter of a M7 thread (which I have a feeling is 6mm, which makes life
easy ;-)

Drilling a ball shaped surface will take a little doing though. Start by
centre punching a starting dent. Then use a small drill for the first
hole (better still a proper centre drill), before working up to the
required size.

Since the original ball will have the hole facing the wall it will not
be noticed at all.

Question

Will I need to file down the worn out male thread to a very precise,
smooth and centered cylindrical shape?

It would help. But with care you may be able to do it by hand.

I would think that using a hand file should be good enough.

If you were to grip the end of the male thread in a chuck in a drill,
then spin the exposed threaded section against the file, that will get
that bit consistent. You can then hand file the last bit using the
"spun" section as a guide.

--
Cheers,

John.