asalcedo asalcedo is offline
Senior Member

Default Tap and Die for thread repair

I have a Waterfront brass paper holder C240 in antique gold, cost new £160

Paper Holder - C240 | Waterfront Designer Bathrooms

with a worn out thread in the screwed union inside the ball between the bar parallel to the wall and the bar perpendicular to the wall.

I don't know the exact thread but I'll try to find out.

Since I am not familiar with tap and die sets, but I am willing to learn, what is the way to use a tap and die set to repair these threads?

If I use the same diameter as the original one, will I gain anything by rethreading?

If I use a smaller diameter in the male thread, then the female thread will be too big.

I have seen in You Tube that bolts with worn out thread are rethreaded successfully by using the same thread die.

Or do I have to use a thread repair kit like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQHRB2ElZJ0

Thanks,

Antonio

Last edited by asalcedo : August 16th 13 at 03:13 PM