Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Application Just Came In...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
A good customer of mine just sent in a request for a few drills and
tappers.

They want to drill and tap in a single stroke (DRAP) and are doing so in
Aluminum.

It's tough because of the thickness of the material and the fact that
each unit has to perform a two hole process. ...Yes, two drilled holes
and two tapped holes, one stroke.

...We can do it. A quick example of a single spindle DRAP operation can
be seen he https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czK0f-R5dVQ

All I need from the customer at this point to generate a quote is:

1. Cut tap or roll form tap?

2. C-C of the two hole patterns?

3. He requested four. ...Is that four units or four holes? The partial
drawing (PNG and STEP format) I received shows four holes total, but it
also shows a part that is used in the quantity of four on his final
product.

4. Are the machines going to be manually run or controlled by a PLC, etc.

5. What direction will the process take place in? Vertical down,
Horizontal, etc.

Per Mr. Gardner's request, I have now shared some of my metalworking
stuff with you. May the conversations commence!

How about drill taps? Too thick?

Wouldn't you need different speed heads so tapping and drilling speed and
feed would match up with their respective holes and operations.

In either caser, Sfm (rpm) is dependent mostly on material and tool
diameter; (or workpiece diameter if turning)....

--tapping is typically done at slower than the optimum rate mostly because
of machine/ operator/ cnc controller restraints.

That said, drilling at a moderately reduced rate typically causes no
objectionable results other than perhaps a slightly higher per-hole
cost...(oftentimes this balances out into the positive since this all
involves having to actually calculate cutting tool cost proper, labor cost
to replace said tool, downtime, and so forth)