Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist project demonstration ideas needed for threshing shows

On 8/12/2013 10:36 PM, anorton wrote:

Most people like to watch other people exercising their expert skill.
They are usually not as interested in a machine doing something by
itself. So, I do not have any specific recommendations on what to make,
just that it should have a lot of quick operations with a lot of
operator intervention. Maybe use a lot of fine metrology tools. People
are usually amazed that you can make something to a couple of 1/10000"
without ultra hi-tech equipment, especially when you explain that is
about 1/20th of a human hair.

Exactly, The trick is communicating the operation and the tolerances.
1/20th of a human hair does mean more than what we call a "tenth".