Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Machinist project demonstration ideas needed for threshing shows

"Pete S" wrote in message
Realizing that so many of you with nothing else to do can turn anything
into political rant, I took a long time composing the subject for this
post.
It is NOT of a political nature.

I do a lot of blacksmithing at historical reenactments and threshing shows
to show the visitors "how things used to be done". I really enjoy getting
the visitors interested in what I am doing, but I realize that mostly,
their attention spans are limited and what I am trying to portray may not
be high on theirs list. There is always that "it's like watching paint
dry" issue if I try to do a project that takes a long time, so I try to
choose things that move along quickly and produce items which which the
audience can relate.
----Been doing this for many years and I think I can do it pretty well.

----But, we are in the process of setting up Machine Shop sections within
two of the venues that I attend annually. So we are in need of projects
for this part of the shops that will "wow" them and at the same time teach
a little.
What do you folks do?

Pete Stanaitis

Most people like to watch other people exercising their expert skill. They
are usually not as interested in a machine doing something by itself. So, I
do not have any specific recommendations on what to make, just that it
should have a lot of quick operations with a lot of operator intervention.
Maybe use a lot of fine metrology tools. People are usually amazed that you
can make something to a couple of 1/10000" without ultra hi-tech equipment,
especially when you explain that is about 1/20th of a human hair.