Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Machinist project demonstration ideas needed for threshing shows

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:52:56 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

Realizing that so many of you with nothing else to do can turn anything into
political rant, I took a long time composing the subject for this post.
It is NOT of a political nature.

I do a lot of blacksmithing at historical reenactments and threshing shows
to show the visitors "how things used to be done". I really enjoy getting
the visitors interested in what I am doing, but I realize that mostly, their
attention spans are limited and what I am trying to portray may not be high
on theirs list. There is always that "it's like watching paint dry" issue
if I try to do a project that takes a long time, so I try to choose things
that move along quickly and produce items which which the audience can
relate.
----Been doing this for many years and I think I can do it pretty well.

----But, we are in the process of setting up Machine Shop sections within
two of the venues that I attend annually. So we are in need of projects for
this part of the shops that will "wow" them and at the same time teach a
little.
What do you folks do?

Pete Stanaitis

If you are using automated machinery - CNC or screw machine - you
could probably design some little thingies that required several
operations and were good for something - key ring, etc.

Watching someone bore a 4 inch hole in something is boring :-) but
watching an automated machine making bolts is sort of interesting.
--
Cheers,

John B.