Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quote vs estimate for roofing/building works

On 12/08/2013 00:52, wrote:
Hi, we need to have some roofing/building work done. (repair rather
than new build).

Most of them seem to advertise ‘free estimates’. Being the cynical
sort I suspect this is so they can then charge more than the estimate
rather than giving a quote.

No estimate is 'free'.

However one chap said that (i) a quote would be deliberately high to
allow for contingencies, so we might end up paying more by having a
quote rather than an estimate and (ii) if it was discovered that
extra work needs doing, a firm that has given a quote may just bodge
it/ cover it up as they are working to a fixed price, rather than
bringing attention to any extra work and informing us of the cost
before proceeding further (although if that happened would we really
be in a position to say no to the extra). (he subsequently gave a
written estimate rather than a quote). Part of me thinks he has a
point, but on the other hand is this just part of his sales spiel ?

What does the collective wisdom of the newsgroup think ?

I think he has a genuine point.

Is it better to request a quote or an estimate ? (thinking of other
firms rather than just this one)

I would only give a fixed price quote for doing a specific task. e.g.
'replace those 4 tiles'. If I then found the roof battens were rotten,
I would tell you, but still expect to be paid the fixed price - sorting
the battens would be another job. (Example only, I don't do roofing).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk