Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] djones12001@gmail.com is offline

Default Quote vs estimate for roofing/building works

Hi,
we need to have some roofing/building work done. (repair rather than new build).

Most of them seem to advertise ‘free estimates’. Being the cynical sort I suspect this is so they can then charge more than the estimate rather than giving a quote.

However one chap said that (i) a quote would be deliberately high to allow for contingencies, so we might end up paying more by having a quote rather than an estimate and
(ii) if it was discovered that extra work needs doing, a firm that has given a quote may just bodge it/ cover it up as they are working to a fixed price, rather than bringing attention to any extra work and informing us of the cost before proceeding further (although if that happened would we really be in a position to say no to the extra).
(he subsequently gave a written estimate rather than a quote).
Part of me thinks he has a point, but on the other hand is this just part of his sales spiel ?

What does the collective wisdom of the newsgroup think ?

Is it better to request a quote or an estimate ? (thinking of other firms rather than just this one)

Thanks.

P.S. I am posting this to uk.d-i-y and uk.legal. If anybody thinks a different group is more appropriate please let me know.