Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Identification for onboard switch needed (Receiver Pioneer A-331)

"Rheilly Phoull"
Trevor Wilson wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

**Dismantle the switches and clean with De-OxitT.

** Stupid, wrong advice.

De-Oxit = Cramolin = snake oil.

**Try using the stuff sometime. It does what it is claimed to do.
Naturally, the spray stuff is useless, but the type that you paint on,
leave for a few minutes and wipe off works very well indeed. Switches I
treated many years ago have long outlasted new replacements.

I spray it onto cotton swabs and stick that into noisy jacks. I hesitate
to use it on pots, but will try if I can't get them to quiet down with
my loop of string wrapped around the shaft, so I can vigorously work it,
so to speak.

Would that process increase the wearing out of the pot ??

** LOL !

If you ever bothered to open a noisy or intermittently operating pot, you
usually see the same thing - a black blob is stuck to the end of the
wiper. The blob is a mixture of grease which has migrated from the bearing
and carbon dust from the track.

A little WD40 on a small brush cleans it up perfectly in seconds - because
WD40 is 90% grease solvent with a very
low surface tension.

If you squirt some into a pot through a hole or crevice, the same thing
happens but it takes a tad longer and you have to rotate the pot a few
times.

Fluids that have no or poor grease solvents simply cannot do this trick.

Include isopropyl alcohol and flurocarbons in this category - as used in so
called "contact cleaners".

.... Phil