Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Raise The Minimum Wage

On Friday, August 9, 2013 4:07:11 PM UTC-4, George Plimpton wrote:
On 8/9/2013 12:50 PM, Denny wrote:

George Plimpton wrote:

On 8/9/2013 12:05 PM, Denny wrote:

George Plimpton wrote:

On 8/9/2013 11:36 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 11:25:26 -0700, George Plimpton

wrote:

You snipped out my references and substituted yours.

I snipped out your references because they aren't economics.

Let's face the basic fact: you're a Democrat, and Democrats like the

minimum wage because it buys them votes.

I don't think a minimum wage worker can take of enough time to vote.

Minimum wage workers have no problem finding the time to vote.

Why has the Repubs been against the minimum wage for all these decades?

Because in addition to hurting low-skill workers, it hurts the firms

that employ those low-skill workers, particularly small businesses.

They also oppose minimum wage laws as a matter of sound ethical

principle. They interfere fundamentally with the right of voluntary

contract.

If you were in control, and had to set a minimum wage, what would it be?

I would abolish all minimum wage laws. There would not *be* any

government-set minimum wage.

Wage is the price of labor. Suppose you make and sell strawberry

preserves. Should there be a "minimum price" of strawberry preserves?

You are willing to sell me a pint of strawberry preserves for $2.00, and

I'm willing to pay that much for it, but the government steps in and

says, "Nope - if you want the strawberry preserves, George, you must pay

Denny $10.00 per pint." So I don't buy any, nor does anyone else.

Instead of selling eight pints per day and making $16.00, you sell zero

pints per day and make zero dollars. I'm worse off because I don't get

any strawberry preserves, and you're worse off because you make no money.

What makes labor any different from any other economic good?

So, let me get this straight: You're perfectly OK with government sponsored Chinese companies dumping their products here at below cost?