Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Backup, backup!

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:18:46 -0700, Winston_Smith
wrote:

NPR did a report on this. It included a guy in his 70s that is now
retired on just SS and still owes some ungodly amount of money. Death
may be a way out, but that's not certain.

I've read about a lot of people in their 60's+ losing their homes due
to mortgage foreclosure. I don't know their circumstances, but you'd
think they would have the mortgage paid by that time. If over 62 they
should have enough equity to get a reverse mortgage and at least stop
the payments. Maybe they had financial troubles in their 50's and
have not recovered yet or they just did not plan for the future.

They also reported 3 out of 4 people in jobs like server or bouncer or
street entertainer have college degrees they have NEVER used. Not for
lack of wanting too. Not for lack of high grades from respected
schools. There just are no jobs and the few there are pay too little
to live on. Street entertainer at least produces enough income to live
on.

What sort of degree? I know a few people like that. If you major in
12th century Latvian art, chances are you won't find a job to use the
degree. Accountants and engineers seem to fare better.

I had a guy working in the shipping department loading trucks. He had
a degree in Journalism but, IMO, could not write for crap and would
never make it as a news reporter or TV anchor and no ability to write
a technical manual. I had a minimum wage packer that wanted to write
poetry. I did not see any ads in the Help Wanted for poets this week.
I also know a high school grad with a lot of common sense that is
making $45+ an hour for an environmental cleanup company. He gets his
work shoes dirty though.