Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Suitable Steel For Home Made Wrenches

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
On 8/8/2013 11:12 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I am sure you are familiar with them. The flat black (sometimes
otherwise coated) wrenches that come with a lot of power tools for
changing blades, bits, discs, etc. They look like they are stamped
out of sheet. I am certainly not going to make a stamping die for
one wrench, but I am sure I could cut one out of flat stock on the
mill when I need one and a regular mechanics wrench won't fit. The
thing is I don't know what steel to use.

How about an inexpensive alloy that might be easily heat treatable.
I don't think surface hardening would help for a wrench or a spanner
as the cross section would still be softer, but maybe somebody who
knows better could speak up?

I've made a boatload of wrenches and such from O-1 ground stock. I'll
harden the working area and draw it back to very dark straw to blue. I
can't remember breaking of deforming one in decades. Easy and cheap!

Where are you buying your O-1? I have a few pieces I picked up for making
punches and punch dies, but it wasn't cheap.