Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Suitable Steel For Home Made Wrenches

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

How about an inexpensive alloy that might be easily heat treatable.

I make custom flat-stock tools from car leaf springs or dull circular saw
blades, annealed and hardened in the wood stove. A carpenter friend gave
me a stack of old blades when he cleaned out his truck.

Cold-rolled sheet is reasonably hard and machinable.

http://www.amazon.com/V8-Tools-Piece...670572-2730838

If you are an alarm wizard, who sells a good, reasonably priced
pan-and-tilt outdoor surveillance camera?

Good AND reasonably priced huh? Can we go with good OR reasonably priced?
LOL.

Seriously, my standard weatherproof PTZ sells for around $2k. (+/-)
depending on the exact model. I have a number of commercial sites that use
them for safety, surveillance, and process management both indoors and
outdoors. That being said there are a number of pretty cheap PT (no Z)
cameras for sale on Fleabay that have a limited IR illumination range. I
use one in my back shop for a buddy in another state who I'll talk with on
the phone while I show him how to do something. I think it was around
$100-150. I have seen a few in the couple hundred range that claim to be
outdoor rated. Some claim to be PT(Z), but the Z is digital, not optical.
Might be ok for some uses, but if you really need zoom then you want optical
zoom. This drives up the price as it requires more expensive optics, and
more controls.

I think if you buy something within your "disposable" price range off
Fleabay or Super Circuits or SCD or Amazon or someplace like that you have
a pretty good chance of getting something that meets about 50-60% of its
claimed specs out of the box, and may last for a year or two.

"Wireless" megapixel+ IP cameras with an internal card slot are a good bet
for a lot of people. The higher the resolution the better chance you have
of getting useable video. One 3.1MP camera I have used (fairly expensive
for the one I use) will view an area of 2 gas pump islands with 2 pumps
each, and have enough resolution to read a license plate. Its not available
on Fleabay for a couple hundred bucks though, and its not even a Pan Tilt
model. Its fixed.

Notice I put wireless in quotes? That because wireless is not a magic cure
all to installation headaches. Wireless WiFi has a very limited range, and
it still requires power. There are also some very long range (not WiFi)
wireless solutions. I have one installed in Mexico that is shooting
standard composite video about 1.2 miles. (Sorry, my Mexican work visa has
expired so don't call me for those jobs guys. LOL). It still requires
power, and it was a fairly expensive point to point system.

For something in between for outdoor use I have often recommended simple
cable lockable game cameras. Low power. Limited video clip length.
Effective on spot trouble locations. Modestly inexpensive. Easy to
install. You just need to change the batteries regularly. BLM uses
variations of them in various camoed installations with large batteries to
prosecute vandals, dumpers, litterbugs, and other criminals in unmanned,
historic, camping, and remote trouble sites. Bear that in mind before you
bend your girl friend over at some remote Indian writings historic site for
a quicky. You just might be giving a BLM ranger an eye full. LOL.

If you want to chat about your application I'ld be glad to give a few
minutes of directed thought. (928) 782-9765. I assume all out of town
callers and unknown numbers are telemarketers until proven otherwise so I am
short with those calls when I answer.