Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default OTish Murder

On 07/08/2013 10:59, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

So how do these new engine related serious crashes happen then where
the electronics are tweaked to make it unable to stop?

IIUC, these "bait cars" they use in the US telly programmes are tampered
with so that they can be stopped by remote control when the thief drives
off in them, I'm sure someone with the relevant skills could do
something similar to make the car unstoppable. I know my car has various
"drive by wire" stuff like the throttle and the semi-auto gear box which
are electrical rather than mechanical. I had a hire car with a
push-button ignition a while ago, so a simple over-ride of that part of
the circuit means you wouldn't be able to turn the ignition off either.

I'm sure I read somewhere that pressing and holding the start/stop
button causes a hard-wired shut-off (rather like a PC!)

SteveW