Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bizarre toilet leaking problem

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:
"Rebel1" wrote in message news:PENLt.239313$%

(As an aside, parts of this house are way out of square, but you can't
see it. For example, I placed one end of a 4' level against the wall
just above the base molding held it vertically. The wall at the top of
the level is a full 3/4 inch away!)

Didn't you have window closing problems that I thought might be related

settling?

Have you checked the input connection through the tank wall?. If that

leaks
it can work it way down to the base of the toilet quite easily.

I just put a level on my shower drain pipe (about a 6' run) and found

that
it's negatively pitched. The huge cast iron waste stack that it's

connected
to apparently held its ground as the house settled around it. That

slowed
caused the shower drain pitch to go towards zero inches per foot and

causes
it to clog up regularly. The fix eludes me. )-:

--
Bobby G.

I have no idea if this will work but I'll toss it out anyway.

What if you installed a trap right where the drain enters the stack, with
the input lower than the output. Do you think you could get enough slope

in
the drain pipe to push the water up and out the trap?

Perhaps there's a balance somewhere between the zero slope you have now

and
whatever amount of slope it takes, combined with a small trap at the end,
to keep the water flowing enough to reduce the clogs.

Sounds weird, and I'd wonder what the heck was going on if I saw something
like that, but maybe it would work.

That sounds like something to consider. I had to read it twice to figure
out what you were saying but that would restore the pitch even though it
might not be code. I am pretty nervous about sawing a 2" thick ring out of
the huge vertical waste pipe so just working with the tub drain segment
itself has serious appeal.

Everything was fine (well, not really, but I was unaware) until I read this
thread and decided to check the pitch of the tub drain pipe because it
needing plunging again today. Darn!

--
Bobby G.