Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Help with no spark on old 2n tractor

Karl Townsend wrote:

First, I wouldn't know a '2n tractor' even if someone pointed out one
riding by on a bicycle... and also had a little difficulty following
what you've done so far.

A 2N is a small utility tractor made by Ford during the WW II years.
It has a fair collector value, especially if you can find the original
steel wheels. It features a four cylinder flat head engine rated at 23
hp PTO and 12 hp drawbar (but back then the horses were bigger - taken
at a low rpm and not fudged) It is nearly identical to the 9N produced
just before the war. After the war a very similar tractor, the 8N, was
produced in large volume.

I have an 8N and use it to run an air compressor hundreds of hours a
year. This is the most economical tractor I've ever owned. it runs the
compressor on a quart of fuel an hour. Don't understand why new
technology can't beat it. The key is 400 rpm idle and leaning out the
carb idle mixture.

Biggest weakness is the electrical system, 6V positive ground and poor
components. If this idiot is still trying to get the original system
running, he's screwed.

Karl

Not sure if it's on a 2N, but the "Marvel" carb used on the later
tractors is a bit of a pain as well.