Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Help with no spark on old 2n tractor

In article ,
stryped wrote:

I have a 2n I use to bushhog a grass field. It has been runing fine for about
3 years. A few weeks ago I started having an intermittenant start problem. I
replaced the points and condenser and now it will not start. The old coil was
cracked I noticed so I put another coil on it I had. (I also tried a new coil
which did not help either). I am pretty sure I put everythign together right,
there is a picture in my manual I got from TSC. The gap is .015. (Slight drag
with this feeler guage.) The problem is definitely no spark.

This is the front mount distributor with the square coil. I have contenuity
with the top post of the coil and the curly spring on the bottom. I am
getting 12 volts on the wire to the coil but noticed something. With the
distributor on the engine, I have trouble getting any voltage when I check
the top terminal of the coil. However, if I take the distributor off the
engine, I get the 12 volts. I am assuming I am not getting the voltage when
installed becasue the distributor is grounded to the engine. Does this sound
right?

I took the distributor off and installed just the coil. I get continutity
from the top post of the coil to anything including the points inside the
distributor.(regardless if the points are open or closed). I get continuity
from the top part of the cap where the other coil terminal rests to the rotor
button on the cap. However, with the cap installed I do not get continuity
touching that same spot where the other coil terminal rests on the cap to any
of the spark plug outlets on the cap, even while spinning the distributor by
hand. I assume this is ok becasue the rotor is not supposed to touch the
actual cylinder terminals inside the cap.

After putting the new points and condenser on I jecked the static timing as
is described in the manual with two rulers. (This is difficult to do by
yourself). The best I could tell the tang on the bottom of the distributot is
1/4 inch away from the bolt hole as it should be.

My only guess is there is something drounded on the breaker plate that is not
supposed to be or something??? I am not sure how to tell or what I need to
look for.

As always I appreciate any help!

First, I wouldn't know a '2n tractor' even if someone pointed out one
riding by on a bicycle... and also had a little difficulty following
what you've done so far.

However, a quick thought... if it has a conventional distributor, check
the primary lead going to the points for continuity... and wiggle it in
the area where it normally flexes in operation while doing so.

Good luck!

Erik