Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Patching window frame with car body filler

Yup, just had one done here and the guy reckons the rest of the frame will
go before the repair does due to the expansiong and contraction eventually
leting more rain into the wood that is left.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/04/2013 05:42 PM, robgraham wrote:
This is a top hung DG window frame in pine - possible someone like Magnet
as the source. It's done 23 years so I perhaps should be grateful that
just one of the six in the extension has deteriorated.

It's the bottom bar (of course!.)

The rotted area is some 12" x 1" x 1" - that of course is at least !!

I see 5 options

1 See if there is a replacement frame on the market - suspect unlikely

2 Get the local joiner to build a new frame

3 Build a new one myself

4 Cut out and patch with wood

5 Cut out and patch with car body filler while perhaps I do #3 over the
winter.

Replacing the bottom bar is really a no-no as the frame will have to be
out of the window for a period and this window faces the main road.

How good is body filler for this type of bodge ? My thinking would be to
anchor it to some screws into the less rotten wood.

Rob

I certainly did a very substantial repair to the bottom of a stanchion,
where it joined the bottom rail, using the blue plastic padding and it
lasted for many years. I'd certainly give it a try before shelling out on
having one made up.

Andy C