Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Patching window frame with car body filler

On 04/08/2013 18:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 09:42:59 -0700 (PDT), robgraham
wrote:

5 Cut out and patch with car body filler while perhaps I do #3 over the winter.

Replacing the bottom bar is really a no-no as the frame will have to be out of the window for a period and this window faces the main road.

How good is body filler for this type of bodge ? My thinking would be to anchor it to some screws into the less rotten wood.

Dig out all the rotten wood back to some reasonably solid stuff, then
let it dry out and paint it very liberally with Ronseal wet rot wood
hardener. When that's dried, use the car body filler. Ronseal do a
wood filler, but it's just a resin that goes off with a peroxide
curing agent, much like body filler. Perhaps just a different colour
depending on the filler used in them.

+1

When I did this a long while ago, using a Ronseal kit, it also included
some tablets of preservative about the size of the last joint of your
little finger, which you shoved down holes adjacent to the repair; I
think the idea was any further damp would dissolve the tablets and
protect the wood?

I did as you suggested and put quite a lot of screws in there to act as
a scaffold for the filler.

Certainly worked very well for me; IIRC it was done a couple of years
before we moved out of the property and was still perfect when we left.

--
David