Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Auto OBD not ready?

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 1 Aug 2013 08:05:04 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:59:58
For instance
the hand brake must be able to stop the car by locking up both rear
wheels. I heard that Germans couldn't even install spark plugs the
maker hadn't recommended.

I'm not sure if "couldn't" or "wouldn't". One major difference I
notice between the Americans and the Continentals, was the American
attitude of "Let's try it and find out." Not to mention we seemed
to be all natural DIY. And that included cars. It may be that cars
were a more integral part of US culture longer than they were in Germany.
So we had parents who had been messing about with cars when they
were "our age."
I can't be sure, but I think my Dad was at least familiar with
some hot rodders ... in his day.

I looked hard for cultural similarities and differences, but I didn't
have enough opportunity for social interaction with the Germans to see
if they were tinkerers. The hobby stores there were amazingly well
stocked, but raw materials like wood were expensive and hard to find.

For that matter most Americans weren't too good at auto repair, or
manual tasks in general, even in the Signal Corps. At the base where I
ran the photo lab not one person asked to use it to develop and print
their own pictures. I was apparently the only NCO willing and able to
change his own truck tire.

I wonder how the "sociological" elements impacted all that. I was
an Officer's brat, so I moved in a more "rarified" atmosphere -
largely it was "Uncle Sam has decided to send us here for 2 (3, 4)
years" realizing that folks back home were scrimping to save up enough
to spend two weeks. I.E., Going broke saving money on furniture you
can't afford in the states.
I would also wonder how many of the troops were of the opinion "I
don't want to be here, I was drafted, I don't like it here" and refuse
to exploit the generosity of their Uncle Sam who sent him someplace
for a year or two where other people will save up for years just to
drop in for a week?

A roommate ran the crafts shop, mostly to manufacture hash pipes. We
made little commando raids into the countryside to covertly snip off
suitable briar branches from hedges.

Well, I'm glad to see that someone was taking advantage of his
skills, and opportunities.

"Reminds me of Czechoslovakia in the spring. I. er, have never
been there, but that's what they tell me it's like."

--
pyotr filipivich