Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default LED PIR Floodlights

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:45:18 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:54:05 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I wonder why they don't make such things of a durable plastic?

Heat sink for the LED and/or power supply.

Having screws that rust does seem a little short sighted.

The cheapo halogen floods are not much more than a bit of painted
pressed steel, they are made down to a price...

The 10 W single chip IP65 800 lumen LED floods that CPC sell have
stainless steel screws and 1 m of lead. LA04484 £15.45 + VAT.

On a slightly different tack, I'm impressed by the CFL floodlight from Aldi
that I fitted for a neighbour. It's a good wash of white light without
excessive glare and comes on immediately even in the winter.
IIRC it's about 20 - 22W and the lamp isn't replacable. I don't know if
bigger versions are available.
Our local street lights have been replaced with CFLs and, along with the new
luminaires, give a good spread of light without being dazzling.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away